What is ECI?
ECI is a community based organization of Lagosians in the Diaspora, established to foster cooperation and collaboration, unity, brotherhood and sisterhood amongst its members, to empower its members politically, socially and economically and to contribute positively to the advancement and prosperity of Lagos State.
Eko Club International shall exist for the following purposes. To
- Foster cooperation, unity and understanding amongst Lagosians
- Grow economically, socially and politically
- Promote and encourage service, leadership, and good citizenship
- Contribute positively to the advancement and prosperity of Lagos State
- Promote good community relations, family and cultural values
- Advance and promote the social, economic, educational, cultural, civic and the general welfare of Nigerians in the Diaspora
- Assist and provide moral and financial support to members during sickness, death or social activities
Core Activities and Programs
- Biennial Convention
- Quarterly Meetings
- Community Based Programs in Lagos and USA
- Membership Benefit and Support Programs
Chapters and Affiliates
- NEW JERSEY
- NEW YORK
- RHODE ISLAND
(Funded through members’ investment)
- EKO PLAZA – HOUSTON , TEXAS (Funded by EKO CLUB HOUSTON )
- COMPUTERIZATION OF LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY ( Funded by EKO CLUB INTERNATIONAL)
- HOSPITAL EQUIPMENTS DONATED TO MASSEY HOSPITAL LAGOS ISLAND (Donated by EKO CLUB HOUSTON)
- REMODELING OF CLASSROOMS AND PROVISION OF DESKS AND CHAIRS TO TWO PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN LAGOS (Funded by EKO CLUB NEW YORK)
- SCHOOL UNIFORMS DONATED TO SCHOOLS IN LAGOS (Donated by EKO CLUB DALLAS)
- MATTRESSES, PILLOWS AND PILLOW CASES DONATED TO RANDLE GENERAL HOSPITAL , SURULERE, LAGOS (Donated by EKO CLUB ATLANTA)
- SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS IN HOUSTON AND CHICAGO (Funded by EKO CLUB HOUSTON AND LAGOSIANS OF CHICAGO)
- ANNUAL THANKSGIVING DINNER FOR THE HOMELESS (Funded by EKO CLUB HOUSTON)
- ANNUAL DONATION OF CLOTHING, SHOES AND OTHER APPARELS TO HOSEA FEED THE HUNGRY AND HOMELESS ORGANIZATION (Funded by EKO CLUB ATLANTA)
- EDUCATION ENDOWMENT FUND FOR THE SHOBOWALE CONJOINED TWINS FROM LAGOS, NIGERIA (Funded by EKO CLUB MARYLAND)
History of Eko Club International
The genesis of Eko Club International can be attributed to the vision of a group of Lagosians from Eko Club Houston and Canada.The trio of Sam Dipeolu, T.J Abass and Mr. Yesir Ganiyu represented Eko Club Houston at a meeting with members of Eko Club Canada . The meeting was held at Mrs. Abiola Nosiru’s residence on February 15th 2000.
In attendance at the meeting were
|From Houston :||From Canada :|
|• Otunba T.J Abass||• Alhaji Yekini Agiri|
|• Yesir Ganiyu||• Mrs. Biola Nosiru|
|• Sam Dipeolu||• Lekan Waheed|
Goal of the meeting:
The goal of this meting was to highlight the significance of having an umbrella Organization for all Eko Clubs. A forum for collectively harnessing our limitless resources Establishment of an umbrella organization will positively impact our community.
An Organization that will be a dependable partner in bringing about development in our society. An organization that will work towards the development and economic well being our beloved State and foster unity among its members.
At that meeting a resolution was reached to officially register E.C.I in U.S.A.
Prior to the formation of Eko Club International, there were only 4 chapters of either Eko Club or an organization of Lagos State origins in the United States of America :
|• Eko Club Canada||• Eko Club New York|
|• Eko Club Houston||• Lagosians in Chicago|
First International Convention:
Eko Club Houston organized the 1st international convention in March 29th to April 3rd 2000.
The theme of the convention was “Enhancing Community Development in Lagos State”.
The theme of the convention is of course consistent with the goals and objectives of Eko Club International. The significance of the convention among other things was
- To showcase our beloved state to the western investors as a viable and stable state to invest in
- Initiate actions on specific projects in Lagos State
- Establishment of lasting and fruitful relationship with the Houston business communities.
- The convention, which lasted for 7 days, attracted the Governor of Lagos State, Speaker of Lagos State house of Assembly, Honorable members of Lagos State House of Assembly and other top government functionaries in Lagos State.
Whilst in Houston , the Governor met with the Houston Business Community at the economic session. The economic session was intended to promote growth and development through a business relationship between Lagos State and Houston.
On April 3rd, 2000, Eko Club International comprising the following chapters was officially inaugurated:
|• Eko Club Canada||• Eko Club Indianapolis|
|• Lagosians in Chicago||• Eko Club London|
|• Eko Club Houston||• Eko Club New Hampshire|
|• Eko Club Los Angeles||•|
The following were responsible for running the organization until an election was held:
- Otunba Sam Dipeolu, Chairman
- Prince Adelani Adeniji Adele, 1st Interim President
- Mr Wahab Owokoniran, Vice president
- Otunba T.J. Abass, General Secretary
The aftermath of the convention was the adoption of Massey Street Children Hospital as a pet project. Over $80,000 worth of hospital equipment has been donated to Massey Hospital . Since the adoption, it has been an annual event with the most recent presentation made in November 2003.
October 17th 2000:
Eko Club International was officially registered as a Non-profit Organization with the State of Texas.
Second Annual Eko Club International Convention
The second annual International convention was organized and held in Canada. In June 2001 The following chapters were represented at the convention:
|• Eko Club Atlanta||• Eko Club Dallas||• Eko Club New York|
|• Eko Club Boston||• Eko Club Houston||• Eko Club Rhode Island|
|• Eko Club Canada||• Eko Club New Jersey||• Egbe Omo Eko Florida
• Eko Club Boston
An election was held in Canada that ushered in the administration of the dynamic leadership of Alhaji Olusesi Dawodu.
3rd Annual International Convention
The 3rd annual international convention was held and organized by Eko Club Atlanta.
The convention also attracted the Governor of Lagos State and other top government officials. The economic session which is intended to fortify the already sister city relationship between the city of Atlanta and Lagos also showcased the investment opportunities in Lagos , to the Atlanta Business Community
The pet project of the convention is the computerization of L.A.S.U
Another election was held on August 15th at the Eko Club International meeting that ushered in the administration of Attorney O.j Lawal.
In consistent with the noble goals and objectives of Eko Club International, which is to make positive impact on the lives of the underprivileged in our society, the following are the projects of Eko Club International:
- The provision of Massey Children Hospital with medical supplies and equipment
- The supply of school uniforms to Lagos State Schools
- The process to furnish L.A.S.U with computer equipment
- To provide Lagos State schools with furniture such as, tables,chairs, etc. and educational materials
- To provide scholarship for Lagos State indigenes in the United States
- An annual thanksgiving feast to feed the homeless
Since its inception, Eko Club International has metamorphosed into a recognizable force across the globe. It has over 20 active /non active Chapters across the globe.